Friday 26 July 2013

Yummy cheese scones!






Yesterday I didn't start work until 5 o'clock and I decided I was in the mood for some baking! I'm usually a chocolate cake kind of person but I was in the mood to make something savoury and as soon as I thought about cheese scones I got searching for recipes! I used to love these when my nan used to make or buy them but I havn't had them in years so thought i'd make my own. I found a few recipes but I used these to put together my own recipe based on the ingredients I had at home and how I like my scones.

Ingredients

500g self raising flour
Pinch of salt
300g strong cheddar cheese
3tsp oil
130ml milk
1 egg

Method

1. Mix together the flour, salt and grated cheese in a large bowl
2. In a separate bowl or jug, beat the egg and mix in the milk and oil
3. Add this into the flour mixture and mix into a dough. You can add extra milk or flour to get the correct consistency
4. Spread a thin layer of flour onto your worktop and roll out the dough to about 5mm. Fold it over on top of itself and push down gently with your fingers to slightly stick together the two layers (this is to create how scones are supposed to be two sections to cut in half)
5. Cut circles using a cookie cutter and place on a baking tray making sure they aren't touching, however you don't need to worry about them spreading loads like cookies would
6. Bake at 180 degrees for around 20 minutes
7. Cool slightly but eat when warm for extra yumminess!

As you can see, some of my scones turned out better than others with the two layers not sticking together properly, but they still taste good! I'll definitely be making these again at some point, what's your favourite home made savoury snack?

Emily xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment